[Citizen of the Year
of the Library]
[Light Horse Memorial]
Clare & District Light Horse
three years of planning and hard work the Clare & District Light Horse
Memorial was opened on 11 November 2003 after the Remembrance Day Service at the
Clare Oval War Memorial gates.
The Krupp gun which had been captured by the
Australian 9th Light Horse in Palestine in 1918 has been restored
by a dedicated crew of men. A procession preceded the Official Opening.
This proceeded up the Main Street of Clare with the SA Police Band leading the
followed by four 9th Light Horsemen of the Barossa &
Light Association on horseback, marching soldiers, an APC, and an Army Land
Rover pulling the gun which was placed in the new building behind drapes.
Ron Leighton (10/27 RSAR) introduced Major Haynes, OC of 3/9 LH (SAMR) who
conducted the proceedings. The Honorary LT COL Reg Williams gave a brief history
of the Light Horse and its association of Clare being the Headquarters prior to
the Second World War. The building was blessed by the Army Chaplain,
after which the ribbon was cut by Mr Keith Gertau, a returned serviceman, and
the drape was removed to show the gun in place with murals of Light Horsemen and
many photos and artefacts. The crowd was then allowed into the new building
which will be illuminated at night. A light luncheon was held in the Clare Drill
Hall for those who contributed with sponsorship and memorabilia. A large crowd
attended the opening.
Photos courtesy of Dianne
Stevenson except Memorial building courtesy of Paul Tilbrook